What an amazing week we’ve all had here at Beech Hall School Riyadh! There are so many highlights to mention, and so many new experiences for so many of us – especially those new to the country! Saudi National Day is a huge event and celebration, and it’s been incredibly exciting to see Riyadh getting ready for the party of the season. I took Crumb to the Diplomatic Quarter last night, and we loved exploring the sights, all decked out in green.
- BHSR had its very own Saudi National Day celebration, which has just finished! We were treated to the most glorious showcase of poetry written by our students, as well as dance performances and readings. We were blown away by the confidence of all the children. The sense of national pride was palpable, and we all felt blessed to be celebrating this together as a school family. That said, seeing Mr Benjamin dancing with a sword,was not something that I was fully ready for! A very different type of risk assessment to the ones we sign in the UK!
- Shopping for an abaya was also a wonderful experience! These beautiful garments are so elegant, and it was such fun to try them on in readiness for our school celebration. I could certainly use some tips from our senior girls on how to style my sheila – it never wanted to stay on my head!
- We have had a great week interviewing for more staff to be joining our school. I’m always so excited to meet new colleagues, all of whom are desperate to come and join what we are doing here in the Kingdom. They love the learning environments, the curriculum, and the ethos. But more than that, they love our children and want to be part of their educational journeys.
- Welcoming so many parents into our school this week has been a total joy. We’re very committed to working in true partnership with parents, and forming a really strong team around each child. This week, we have welcomed the parents of nearly all of the classes we have so that we can hear what’s working well, what could work even better, and answer any questions that people may have. We have also been inundated with parents offering ways to support the school, from workshops and trips to visits and even requests to come in and speak to the students. We’re so lucky to have such supportive and engaged parents, and we also got to host a staff and parent social event – another event filled with joy and positivity.
- Planning our first ever conference has also been hugely exciting. We are proud to be welcoming a field of world-renowned educational speakers, all of whom are looking forward to coming to BHSR and sharing their expertise. It’s great to place inclusion at the heart of all we do, supporting each child to reach their goals and seeing them soar in the areas where they are gifted. If you are interested in attending, please don’t hesitate to get in touch – and keep your eyes peeled for the flyers.
In the meantime, have an amazing weekend and make sure you switch your alarm off on Sunday! We will all be making the most of this extra day of celebration.